Catherine Field is located on what was once the Cowpasture Road, leading to Camden, on the lands of the Dharug people. The land was colonised from about 1807 onwards when land grants were awarded. George Molle was given 500 acres in 1817, along South Creek, which he named ‘Catherine Field’. James Chisholm built the property ‘Gledswood’ around 1817 and it remained in the family until 1940.
The Catherine Field area is located on the Cumberland Plain, however, only remnants of the original woodland remain. The area contains mixed agriculture and rural residential holdings. As the NSW State Government has designated the Catherine Field area as part of the South West Metropolitan Development Strategy, increased urbanisation will occur.
(Information provided by Camden Historical Society, Camden Council Library Service and Camden Council Community Profile)