On land originally inhabited by the Tharawal and Gundungurra people, Cobbitty lies in an area bounded by Bringelly Creek, Nepean River, Macquarie Grove Road and the Northern Road. Remnants of the Cumberland Plain Woodland are found in and around Cobbitty.
Land was granted in 1812 to Gregory Blaxland, who called his holding ‘Cubbady Farm’. Other land grants were made to the Reverends Cowper (Wivenhoe); Hassall (Macquarie Grove) and to Charles Hook (Denbigh).
Heber Chapel was constructed by Reverend Thomas Hassall and was dedicated by Reverend Samuel Marsden in 1828. St Paul’s Anglican Church was completed in 1842 with the rectory being erected opposite in 1870. The present Cobbitty School was constructed in 1882.
Dairying was the main industry in Cobbitty in the 1880s. A winery, along the Nepean River, was established by the Cogno brothers in the 1960s and continues trading today. The University of Sydney acquired land in Cobbitty and operates the Plant Breeding Institute, and Veterinary Science facilities, together with a number of farms.Turf farming along the Nepean River on the alluvial soils continues.
Cobbitty remains predominantly rural although the northern reaches of the area will become increasingly developed for housing as the NSW State Government implements the Metropolitan Growth Strategy.
(Information provided by Camden Historical Society, Camden Council Library Service and Camden Council Community Profile)