Spring Farm covers the southern section of John Oxley’s land grant of 1816 and the south-western section of William Howe’s grant of 1818.There were also nine land grants to smallholders along the floodplain in the western part of the suburb. Spring Farm has had a long history of industrial, mining and agriculture activity. From 1930s-1970s there were extensive orchards and vineyards along Springs Road with a mixture of stone fruit, apples and grapes. Another land use has been the production of poultry: chickens for eggs, and both chicken and turkeys for meat. The Tegal family were one of the major operators from the 1950s.
Spring Farm, 2008. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
There has also been industrial land use in the area including treatment of nightsoil, sand mining, gas extraction, coal washing and waste facilities.
The first urban development in Spring Farm in an otherwise rural setting was in the Ettlesdale Road area in the 1960s. The most recent urban development in Spring Farm comprises a series of urban villages. The area is planned to have around 3900 housing lots.In 2006 the population of the Spring Farm was 287 predominantly made up of young families with 44 per cent of the population under 25 years of age. The suburb will be subject to an increasing number of new arrivals.
Narellan is on the traditional land of the Dharawal and Gundungurra people. Narellan lies in the central part of the Camden Local Government Area, although it was originally part of Nepean Shire Council until it was abolished in 1948.
The name Narellan is used for the village, the district and the parish and was probably derived from William Hovell’s 1816 grant of ‘Narralling’ of 700 acres. Most of the parish of Narellan was granted to settlers by Governer Macquarie between 1810 and 1818.
Coal loader, Narellan, c.1960. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
Farming in the local area consisted of vineyards, orchards and dairying. Narellan Railway Station was the hub of activity in the village on the branch-line between Camden and Campbelltown. The tramway operated from 1882 until 1963. Coal loading operations were centred here from 1940s until 1980s. St Thomas’s Church, Narellan Public School, Ben Linden and Narellan Hotel are examples of historic buildings remaining in Narellan.
Narellan grew as a residential suburb from the 1960s and by the 1990s commercial development in Narellan had usurped the dominance of Camden and become the commercial centre of the local district.
(Information provided by Camden Historical Society, Camden Council Library Service and Camden Council Community Profile)