The suburb is on the traditional lands of the Dharawal and Gundungurra people. Mount Annan is the name given to a high point in the western part of the locality and is 190 metres above sea level. It only appears on published maps after 1834. This point was part of Glenlee which was owned by William Howe, who built a fine Georgian house (1824) on the property. Glenlee was acquired by James Fitzpatrick in the 1850s and his descendants ran it as a dairy farm until 1978 with associated cropping and grazing.
The first land release for housing at Mount Annan was in late 1980s for first home buyers and low income families. Later land releases such as Garden Gates were aimed at second and third home buyers. The population growth encouraged the establishment of new shopping facilities, a leisure centre and schools.
The Mount Annan Botanic Garden is the highlight of the suburb. It is a native plant botanic garden and arboretum in an attractive garden and parkland setting and is managed by the Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust.
Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan, 1989.Ceremonial opening of the memorial sundial in the Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan donated by the Macarthur Onslow women in memory of their mother Winifred Macarthur Onslow (nee Owen) widow of Edward Macarthur Onslow. L to R Pamela Harrison; Annette Macarthur Onslow; Phoebe Atkinson. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
On the eastern side of the Mount Annan Botanic Gardens is a little piece of history which was constructed in 1880. It is a water canal (aqueduct) which is partly made of sandstone blocks thought to be quarried from Mount Annan. It is part of the Upper Nepean Scheme which supplies water by gravity from the dams on upper Nepean River to Prospect Reservoir along a course of 62 km. Until Warragamba Dam was finished in 1960 this canal supplied most of Sydney’s water.
Glenlee Coal Washery, viewed from top of Mount Annan, 2007. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
In 2001 Mount Annan had a population of 6,761, and which was an 85 per cent increase from 1996. The demographic profile of Mount Annan is predominantly young families, with 35 per cent of the population under 18 years of age.
Spring Farm covers the southern section of John Oxley’s land grant of 1816 and the south-western section of William Howe’s grant of 1818.There were also nine land grants to smallholders along the floodplain in the western part of the suburb. Spring Farm has had a long history of industrial, mining and agriculture activity. From 1930s-1970s there were extensive orchards and vineyards along Springs Road with a mixture of stone fruit, apples and grapes. Another land use has been the production of poultry: chickens for eggs, and both chicken and turkeys for meat. The Tegal family were one of the major operators from the 1950s.
Spring Farm, 2008. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
There has also been industrial land use in the area including treatment of nightsoil, sand mining, gas extraction, coal washing and waste facilities.
The first urban development in Spring Farm in an otherwise rural setting was in the Ettlesdale Road area in the 1960s. The most recent urban development in Spring Farm comprises a series of urban villages. The area is planned to have around 3900 housing lots.In 2006 the population of the Spring Farm was 287 predominantly made up of young families with 44 per cent of the population under 25 years of age. The suburb will be subject to an increasing number of new arrivals.
Narellan Vale is on the traditional lands of the Dharawal and Gundungurra people. William Howe was given the original grant of 3000 acres called Eskdale in 1818 on which most of Narellan Vale is located. He was a member of the local gentry and a magistrate in the 1820 and later became Superintendent of Campbelltown Police. Howe was a member of the 1824 Hume and Hovell expedition to Port Phillip.
Narellan Vale, 2000. Copyright: Camden Historical Society.
In the 1960s-1980s the Gayline Drive In Movie Theatre was a popular place of entertainment for people of the surrounding district.
The first land release in the Narellan Vale area was in 1990 with Narellan Gardens Estate in the Morshead Road area.